Open Call for Design Competition 2021 – Tata Structura– Notions Of India
Notions of India is an international design competition for Architects, Engineers and students and to create an outdoor symbol/sculpture that articulates the essence of the nation and its journey into a glorious future.
In 2005, as India turned 60 years, Tata Structura launched Notions of India, a seminal competition to celebrate this milestone and give India its’ first ever symbol of ‘The Shape of Things to Come’.
The sculpture may be built within the external dimensional limits of 12 x 12 x 12 metres from the buildability perspective. In exceptional conditions, if the participant is able to provide justifiable reasons for exceeding these limits, it may be considered at the discretion of the jury.
Not limiting itself to just an ideas competition, Tata Structura chooses to have this symbol erected and installed in public spaces across select cities of India.
This way, the ‘Notions of India’ symbol will not only be celebrated by communities but also will shape the lives of people around it.
Architects, Engineers, Students
Interpretation of the Brief:
- The participant is free to imagine the scope of Notions of India as per their visualization of the concept.
- There are no restrictions to inspiration except as and where mentioned.
- The sculpture must address technical and functional aspects. It must have a stable and feasible structural system to be buildable.
- The sculpture must take into account the contextual conditions of India to make an inspiring visual contribution while integrating it into the fabric of the nation.
- The submission must impact its people through aesthetics, form, design inventiveness and responsibility to the environment.
- The sculpture must take into consideration the longevity of the concept so that its relevance continues to apply and inspire.
- The sculpture must adhere to ethical practices in all phases of the competition.
- The design and materials must push the boundary on the usage of steel hollow sections along with other materials.
The competition is open to all architecture and engineering firms that are registered in India or abroad.
Advertising, graphic design or other media firms are allowed to participate as long as they collaborate with registered professionals of engineering or architecture in India.
The participating team must fill in all the details required in the registration form for them to be considered as valid entry.
Up to two entries can be submitted by the same organisation.
Employees of the organisers are not eligible to enter the competition.
Firms interested to participate may register on the website by filling in the registration form.
Participants are expected to take careful note of all the conditions. Non-compliance may result in disqualification.
1) The entry must be submitted on or before 11:59 pm IST on June 15, 2021.
2) The entry can only be submitted online.
3) Please plan accordingly to ensure that the entry is uploaded within the given deadline. Any submission/s delivered later than the above-mentioned date will be disqualified, regardless of the reason.
4) Any missing or incomplete information will be considered as a basis for disqualification.
5) Your submission may comprise A1 sized panels (max. 2 no.s), 3D views or walkthrough (as appropriate) and a synopsis. Preferred submission formats (Panels - pdf, 3D views jpg, Walkthrough – mp4, Synopsis – MS Word).
6) Maintain the size of your entire submission packet within 10 MB.
7) On registration, a unique ID will be generated which should be clearly marked on your submission on the top-right corner.
8) The A1 panels should not have your name or contact details. Revealing the name of the participating team in the panels may result in disqualification.
9) The Walkthrough must be not over 2 minutes and preferably in the mp4 format.
10) The synopsis must be within 750-1000 words.
11) Every professional is eligible to submit a maximum of two entries. Each entry needs to be sent in separately with its unique ID. Participants must not combine multiple entries.
1) Each of the selected finalists (12 nos.) will be required to submit detailed drawings (plans, elevations, sections, 3D finished views etc) and all relevant documents that will explain their idea from the point of construction.
2) The submission must include a short film (2 min) on the vision and journey of their design.
3) Participants may also submit a 1:25 scale model of their design (optional).
4) The model must be submitted within 10 days of the intimation of being shortlisted for the second stage.
5) A BOQ specifying material requirement and details for fabrication, assembly and finish is mandatory for the second stage entry to be deemed valid.
Competition Registrations Open: March 23, 2021
Competition Submission Deadline: June 15, 2021
Announcement of the Leading Entries: July 15, 2021
Exhibition of the Leading Entries: July 15 - Aug 15, 2021
Announcement of the Winner: August 15, 2021
Visit Competition Website for Prize money and more information: www.notionsofindia.com